John Mayall - The Blues Alone (1967)

John Mayall is a British blues singer and multi-instrumentalist, who was a major figure in the 60s British blues scene.

At the same time that he was recording and touring with the Mick Taylor-era Bluesbreakers, John Mayall found time to record and release an album without his backing group. The Blues Alone came out in 1967, and apart from the drums played by Bluesbreaker Keef Hartley, all the instruments were played by Mayall himself - guitar, harmonica, piano, organ and bass. He also wrote all twelve songs. The plan came together very well, showcasing Mayall's talents as a singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist, proving he didn't need the presence of some flashy young guitar hero to make excellent blues music, and it further consolidated his position as Britain's number one blues artist.

Crusade (1967) <|> Diary Of A Band (1968)
More from John Mayall

Download

1 comment:

Michael Henry Harmon said...

This was my first John Mayall album. I didn't know anything about him and hadn't heard the record. I may have seen an ad of it but I bought it solely because of the album cover. I was maybe fifteen or sixty at the time and John Mayall looked like a bluesman. What can I say, but I was right. I began teaching myself the harmonica at this point. It is so hard to make these kind of musical discoveries in this day. This may have been in Sam Walton's first store in Enid, OK, before the big corporation thing y'know.

Thank you John Mayall. BTW what was the guitar here?